I have finished the Data panel and only need to weave the ends in and take photos, but that will have to wait until later today. I’m putting off doing the ends because I really don’t like that part, and because I’ve been bitten by the inspiration bug and have been bursting with ideas. It’s so hard to know what to do first sometimes, so I thought that while those other projects are unfinished I’d post the scarf I made last week.
I’d indulged and bought myself a skein of chunky Ella Rae lace merino from Yummy Yarn & Co, and had a hard time figuring out what to make from it. Because I’d only bought the one, I knew it couldn’t be anything too big. If you follow me on instagram, you’ll have seen these already, but the colours are pretty enough to see again.
First things first, changing it from a hank to cake. I don’t own a yarn winder as yet, so I had to do it the old fashioned way. It was also the first time I’d bought a hank of yarn, so I had this “oh, I’m a real crocheter now” moment, which might be somewhat silly, but it’s what happened. I love the colours in this yarn, and it was so soft and beautiful to work with. I will definitely get more in the future, possibly enough to make a shawl.
I then faced the dilemma of what to do with it, so I trialled a few different stitches.
It was so lovely to work with (which it should be, as they’re $24.95 each), so I wanted to do something to show off the gorgeous colours and softness.
I really like this star stitch, and it was a lot easier to learn than I’d thought, but it makes for a sturdy item and you have that unattractive wrong side. This yarn was soft and needed something that would allow that to show.
I settled on a DC ripple, which I think works well. It keeps the yarn soft with a nice drape, and it shows off those colour changes.
The ripple lines aren’t as obvious as they are with solid colours, of course, but I think there’s a nice flow to it.
I then ran into the problem of running out of yarn so close to the end. I’d been so caught up in the show I was watching that I didn’t realise I’d reached the end. I didn’t want to frog it again, as I’d already done that about four times.
After eyeing off the ties that I’d cast aside earlier, I decided to give them a go, to see if they’d be long enough to finish the row.
JUST enough! I had to do more weaving in than desired, but I got five rows out of it (plus the foundation chain), so I’m happy.
I sewed the ends together to make it an infinity scarf (my style of choice these days), and it’s long enough to be worn hanging loose or wrapped around. Winter is over down here now, so I won’t be using it until next year, but I’ll be ready to pop some colour out the next time it gets cold.