Yes, at long last, I’ve finished it. I started making it in June last year, but I actually created it before I made my Outlander blanket, so this has been a long time in coming. Last year was extremely rough for me, so finishing this blanket feels like a great way to start the new year. I’m hoping for bigger and better things for me and my daughter, along with hoping for improvements with my arthritis and depression, and my daughter’s anxiety. We’ve had a lot going on, with a lot of stress, but hopefully that will ease up and make for a smoother ride.
I really wanted to get this blanket done and posted on Friday, as a birthday gift to myself, but I was racing the sun to finish, and wasn’t able to get photos done before I lost the natural light before sunset. Then with how disgustingly hot it was over the weekend and how my pain levels were, I wasn’t up to writing anything. But it’s done, and it’s ready to be shown off.
I tried something different when it came to edging this blanket. Usually I’d join along the vertical seams and then the horizontals, and then edge it, but I found this awesome method a while back. It seems to takes a bit longer than my usual way, but because you’re doing the outside as well, and getting a nice seam, I think it’s great. The best part of it was this:
Those four strands were all I had to weave in. If you’ve been following my posts regarding weaving ends in, you’ll know I hate it. But this time, I really enjoyed it because it was a case of BAM! DONE! I felt like it was definitely worth taking the longer route to get there to have that be the finish. One important thing to remember when doing the edging on this type of blanket is to skip the join stitch if you edged it how I suggested in the pattern. Keeping your stitches to just the chains keeps the edge nice and straight. Also, for the corners I would sc, ch 2, sc in the one stitch to get a nice corner.
I was given the suggestion of finishing it with crab stitch in black, which I had never done before. I tried it, and LOVED it. I think I’ll have to use it again!
I was really happy with how it gave a nice thick edge, and helped balance it out.
It was a nice easy stitch, too, so it’s definitely been added to my list of must-use stitches. Now for some pretty shots before we get to the reveal.
I haven’t blocked it yet, and it does need it, but I think it’ll even out with time and use.
There we go! It’s done! There are numerous ways to put the panels together, so have some fun with it. Please tag me on instagram with @nerdishdelights if you do make it, or link it here. The patterns for the panels are all on the “Star Trek CAL masterpost” link, which can be found at the top of the page.
Edit: OMG Michael Dorn (Worf) liked and reposted my blanket on Twitter I may faint a little.