It feels like I’m stuck in an endless loop of WIP that never get finished because I keep starting new things. With all the stress going on lately (due to my pain levels and my daughter’s anxiety), it’s been hard for me to finish things. I have no idea why I do that, but losing myself in a new project seems to be my go-to way of coping lately. It helps, but it’s also annoying because I really want to finish things but can’t bring myself to do that.
I wanted to start on some Christmas presents, so knowing that countdown was on had my starting on some items I’d never made before. They’re still not finished, either, because one involves getting more yarn first, and both involve sewing lining in and attaching them. I’ve made two drawstring backpacks, drawing inspiration from a couple of different patterns.
I had no idea this yarn would work up in stripes this way, but I love it. This is Carnival yarn Brown and Camouflage from their Effects range.
Also in Carnival yarn, Turquoise and Jac Blue. Both are using 6mm hooks with two strands of yarn. I have progress shots over on Instagram if you want to see more of the pieces as they were put together.
What I did was chain 79 (shell stitch works in sets of 6+1, so mine was 78+1), join with sl st, ch1, sc in second ch from hook, sk 2, DC 5, sk 2, sc, then repeat pattern until it was 20 rounds high. I then sl st, ch 3, DC around, sl st, ch 2, HDC around, sl st, ch 1, sc around, FO. I ch 120 for the drawstring and fed it through the DC round, initially two apart at the back, and then through every fourth DC, leaving a gap of two DC at the front.
The straps are four DC wide, 32 rows, both double stranded. The base is ch 25, HDC to end, inc, HDC up other side of chain, inc, repeat until four rows wide. I joined the base to the bag with sc. The straps and bag will be lined with cotton fabric, which is the point I’m up to with both of them. The blue/green bag will have tentacles added to the bottom, but I’ve run out of that yarn. Once I get some more I’ll be able to finish putting it together. I need to cut out the lining for the camouflage bag, but I’ve been putting it off because I don’t feel like sewing.
The other WIP that’s been taking my attention are these hexies from Crochet by RedAgape. I’ve been drooling over them for a while now, so I thought I’d use the Stylecraft Special DK yarn I have for it.
They all desperately need blocking, but I’m not going to do that – or weave ends – until later. Right now I’m getting a lot of stress relief from making them, so I’m sticking to that part. I’m loving the yarn, too, and seeing how the colour combinations work out. I have another 12 colours to play with (I bought them in a colour pack from Deramores), so when I figure out what I want to do with them, I’ll be ready.
One item I have been able to finish was this hooded cape. There were a few patterns around, so I again borrowed bits from all of those. I didn’t want it to be heavy, and I wanted it to work up fast and to match the bag, so I again used Brown and Camouflage, but this time I used a 9mm hook. It’s not for my daughter, but a cousin of the same age, so she was the perfect model for testing and posing purposes.
Even if she did channel her inner Darth Vader for it.
For this, I ch 80+2, then DC 80 for 20 rows, HDC 2 rows, sc 2 rows. Then started the decrease for the shoulders by having a row of sc 3, dec, repeat until end, followed by a row of sc 2, dec, repeat until end, then sc 2 rows. It would now be 50 sc across. To start the hood portion, I did FLO (this side would then be the inside), ch 2, DC 16 rows, sl st ends together to form hood. SC around cape edges to neaten it, and then attach two buttons. I ch 20 and sewed both ends behind the button on the right of the cape, and looped them around the other. If I had more of those colours I may have made it longer, but I only had three of each. I have about half a skein left of both, so I used about 2.5 of each for the bag AND cape, which I think is pretty good.
I do plan on getting back to my Star Trek blanket, hopefully later today. Worf is glaring at me from the sidelines, waiting for his go. I might get around to writing up those patterns properly, but that won’t be today. I finished that cape a couple of weeks ago but couldn’t get the motivation up to post, so getting this post up is a good step for now.
I have noticed a lot of visitors coming to look at my Outlander blanket, so hi! I wish I knew where you were all coming from. Feel free to say hi!
I’m really hoping that things get better for us around here soon. Onwards and upwards, with regular breaks to catch our breath and regroup 🙂